Folk Queue

let there be songs to fill the air

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dolores Keane: "Galway Bay"



with Dé Danann

'tis far away i am today from scenes i roamed a boy
and long ago the hour i know i first saw Illinois
but time nor tide nor waters wide could wean my heart away
forever true it flies to you, my dear old Galway Bay

o grey and bleak by shore and creek the rugged rocks abound
but sweet and green the grass between as grows on Irish ground
so friendship fond all wealth abound and love that lives always
bless each poor home beside your foam, my dear old Galway Bay

had i youth's blood and hopeful mood and heart of fire once more
for all the gold the world might hold i'd never quit your shore
i'd live content whate'er God sent with neighbors old and gray
to lay my bones 'neath churchyard stones, beside you, Galway Bay

the blessing of a poor old man be with you night and day
the blessing of a loving man whose heart will soon be clay
'tis all of Heaven i'll ask of God upon my dying day
my soul to soar forever more above you, Galway Bay