Folk Queue

let there be songs to fill the air

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Ernest Tubb: "Driftwood On The River"



i'm just driftwood on the river floating down the tide
i don't care where this old river carries me
i keep drifting just because my heart is broken inside
and i'm tired of wishing for what cannot be
i may meet some bit of driftwood lost the same as i
share a handshake and a tender tear or two
but it's always good luck now we've got to say goodbye
i must wander on to keep my rendezvous

though i drift through town and city i can never stay
for i find no place to call my home sweet home
i don't ask for help or pity i just go my way
all i'm praying for is peace to dream alone
in my heart i don't feel bitter over what has been
i feel sorry for the one i must forget
and instead of being someone with the world to win
i'm just driftwood on the river of regret